Quick photo-related questions...

Hi all!

You all have been so very helpful to me while I was researching
photo-related preservation issues for our wonderful exhibit that is now up &
running. THANKS!

Now, the time is drawing near for me to give my first professional workshop,
"Preserving Your Family Photographs". Rather than be ambushed by obscure
questions, I had my educational counterpart who is coordinating the
reservations ask the attendees what they hope to get out of this workshop. I
was surprised to find that I had not opened a can of worms, but did come
across some questions that I have not had to deal with yet. So I come to
you, my esteemed collegues, for some advice. :)

- What's the best preservation method for color slides?
        The best I can come up with is to use the 'good' plastic sleeves
(polyethylene or mylar) or in an acid-free box like ones available through
reputable suppliers (Hollinger, Light Imp., etc.). Then, store in cool, dry
(or at least stable) environment. Any other ideas for someone who has their
own collection? (ie: not a professional organization)

- What's the best thing to do with tin-types for storage? for display?
        The best I can suggest is store in acid-free 4-flap folder. I have
not had the occasion to display tin-types, so does anyone have any tips on
this? (I'm thinking - u-v protected something in front of it, out of direct
sunlight/light)

I guess that's all I have right now.
We still have lots of space available for participants if you know someone
who would like to learn what they can do with the attic full of photos
they've inherited! (hey - I've gotta get my plug in!)

Thanks for all your help!
Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680
BKelly@stanhywet.org   www.stanhywet.org

Mark your calendars! We are preparing for one of the country's best arts and
crafts festivals--The Wonderful World of Ohio Mart, October 4-7, 2001!