Re: Friday Funnies - early

Anyone remember the apparently now-obsolete CD-ROM machines that
accepted disks only in specially-designed cassette cases?  We went
with this system in the mid-90s because it only required popping a
box in a slot, like inserting a diskette or videotape, rather than
having to open a jewel box and handle the CD, whereupon it could get
scratched, dirty, dropped, broken.

Signs at our workstations asked users to check with us before getting
started, but we couldn't always intercept everyone.  Most people
"got" it and used the disk boxes without incident.

Even though the cassette boxes were designed to thwart easy opening
and were labeled with instructions for proper insertion, and the CD
players had only a slot and no pop-out tray, some patrons would still
jimmy open the cassette boxes and push the disks into the slots,
whereupon we had to carefully retrieve them with tweezers.

--- Nina Stoyan-Rosenzweig <nstoyan@VPHA.HEALTH.UFL.EDU> wrote:
> Actually, we could turn this discussion around to talk about older
> folks
> who have trouble with new technology- such as more mature
> professors in
> the History Department who get their 5 1/4" disks stuck in the disk
> drive
> of newer computers because they don't know these disks are now
> obsolete!
>

> Nina Stoyan-Rosenzweig
> Archivist, College of Medicine
> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of History
> University of Florida
>
> On 4 Oct 01, at 10:25, Wick, Charles Harrison wrote:
>
> > Well, it is interesting to think there may be members of this
> list who don't
> > remember the 486 or LPs, but the true test of age and
> technological
> > obsolescence is whether they know what your talking about when
> you mention
> > beta or 5 1/4" floppy disks.  We had a teenage patron who came
> down to
> > Preservation with a beta tape asking why it didn't work in his
> VCR.  I've
> > also met undergrads who have never seen a 5 1/4" disk.
> >

> > C. Harrison S. Wick
> > NEH Supervisor
> > Preservation
> > Indiana University
> > Bloomington

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net