Re: Vintage technologies

--- "Garth D. Reese Jr" <reesegd@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

...in fact, I find that,
> except for
> computers, I prefer most 'vintage' technology, as it were.

While on vacation in southwestern NY state in August, we were
thrilled to come across a vintage, almost mint-condition *working*
gas stove from the late 1930s being offered for sale.  It has 4
burners, a small oven (by modern standards), intact celluloid knobs
and handles, a drawer for pots and pans, and a peach-colored enamel
finish that resembles crushed velvet.  We negotiated a price and
hauled it home.

Searching online for "vintage stoves," I was stunned to find a
similar model being offered for sale for over ten time what we paid.

After a little touch-up, it's going in the kitchen of our 1896 Queen
Anne house, and good riddance to the standard white 1980s gas stove.

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net