Re: Donating to Archives

A few thoughts:

1) Is there a geographical, social, economic, ethnic, etc. twist to the
business' materials?  If so, a business could narrow its search for a
repository around those factors.

2) Where will the materials get the best treatment?  That includes the
resources to process the materials in a timely manner, the ability to
maintain them over time, and the staff to provide the most access.  If they
will end up at the bottom of a large to-do pile, send 'em elsewhere

3) Take advantage of resources - local archivists, the internet,
local/regional/national archival groups.  As we have all seen and
demonstrated time and again, we as colleagues are usually the best resources
for appropriate repositories.We may not have the answer, but we know where
to get it :)

4) Are there other collections of similar materials?  The records might
complement other collections, so even if there's no direct connection to an
institution, the repository might be a good fit.

5) Alma maters?  Someone in the company, be it CEO, head of PR, whatever,
could contact their Alma Mater's library/archives and find out if A) they
might be interested, or B) they know someone who would like the materials.

There's probably more, but that's what I can think of right now.

DS

PS I might also assure the reporter that space considerations can usually be
dealt with if the collection is important/appropriate enough.  I wouldn't
want her to think space is the only concern - reporters sometimes hear what
they want to hear.

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021