Re: Port Authority Archives Update

In a message dated 11 Oct 2001 10:15:25 -0400,  Fernanda Perrone writes:

<<
Dear colleagues:

I just received confirmation from Patrick Caggiano, Deputy Director of
the Port Authority of NY & NJ that the entire contents of the library,
stored in a sub-basement of the World Trade Center, were destroyed
September 11.

If people would send me information on the organizations -- public or private sector -- that suffered lost or damaged archives as a result of the terrorist attacks, I will be happy to work with my friend Brewster Kahle to see if he can help us locate records that may have been captured from the World Wide Web.  Those wishing to do so can send me the name and address of the organization and any other contact info -- tel, web URLs, etc.

This is a chilling reminder of the potential importance of maintaing electronic records at remote sites and on websites.

Regards,

Rick Barry
www.rbarry.com