Re: Patron Saint for archivists

In a message dated Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:58:24 -0400
, ellee@WAM.UMD.EDU writes:
<<
I thought that was St. Jude, patron saint of lost causes..

Wait a minute....do we really mean to project archivists as purveyors of lost causes?  Or even just lost items?

On the other hand, St. Laurence (even though he suffered a cruel death) had a "value" and preservation perspective on archival assets.  Plus he was a clever guy and had a great sense of humor even in his last hour of torture.  I vote for Larry.

http://www.allsaintschelmsford.org/ascinsis_Saint_Laurence.html

"Here's what the stories say: Since Laurence acted as archivist, the emperor decided to postpone his execution, thinking that in the meantime he could come up with an accounting of the whereabouts of all the valuables owned by the Church - and also with a roster of its members, especially the well-to-do ones. This last would have been useful in terms of extortive "ransom" of those left alive; he could confiscate the properties of those who weren't. Since the pope had gone on before him, Laurence realized the gold balls were in his court, so to speak. So, when the order came, he peaceably answered that it would take him a couple of days to marshal the valuables. Then, swinging immediately into action, he first put whatever valuables there were into the hands of trustworthy men; and then he set out to gather the weak, widowed, infirm, and aged together - all those who were supported by the charity of the Church. Appearing with these poor people before the emperor, Laurence presented them as "the treasures of the Church." He may have meant it as an object lesson. He probably did not mean it as a joke. In any case, the emperor was far from amused. In a rage, he demanded that Laurence be seized and dragged off to be tortured, until he should divulge where the booty was hidden. Remember, we're all hoping something didn't really happen? Here's what that something is: Laurence placed on a sort of grill, called a "gridiron," and the fire beneath it allowed to burn down to hot coals. Here's where patience and grace under pressure take on legendary proportions. Laurence was once again invited to tell all; but before he died this horrible death, the only advice he offered - and offered cheerfully, at that - was, "Let my body be turned; one side is broiled enough"; and, later, "It is cooked enough; you may eat." For all these reasons, St. Laurence - San Lorenzo - Saint-Laurent - "Saint Larry the Librarian" - has been cherished throughout the centuries as the patron saint of archivists, librarians, and all who appreciate orderly records and books. And also of cooks. On August 10, archivists and chefs alike celebrate St. Laurence's day - but with feasts of cold cuts! Here's a representation of St. Laurence, holding a book and kneeling by a gridiron: http://www.diakonoi.org/naadlaur.htm

"The shooting stars in the Perseid meteor shower, which arrive every year on or about the anniversary of his martyrdom, are sometimes referred to as "the tears of St. Laurence"; read more about this event this week in The Big Network's "NightSights" newsletter:
http://www.bignetwork.com/dp/ns"

Rick Barry
www.rbarry.com