Archives Stories

Nick,

Peter Kurilecz forwarded your request about archives stories for Parliament,
and it made me think not of a story, but perhaps a point you could make.
Not that you need to broaden your topic at all, but you might want to make a
case for record keeping in general, perhaps using the World Trade Center
attacks as an indicator of the vital role recordkeeping plays in modern
society.

Peter K. has sent numerous stories in his RAIN postings (which I hope you've
seen - it's an extremely helpful tool for keeping up on current happenings
in the RM/Archives worlds) with tales of the actions of record keepers in
either helping or hindering the resumption of "normal" life here in the NYC
area.  There's nothing wrong with using events of general importance (i.e.
protection/response to terrorist actions) to make your point - archives can
help people recover from disaster, provide background, show future
generations what we went through, etc.

I don't really have any fascinating archival stories, though I did have a
4th grader (he's about 10 years old, if that helps translate for the UK
school system) come in for a school project.  While I normally frown on such
patrons, his mother is an associate trustee of the Health System, so leeway
and discretion were called for.  The young man was very interested in the
history of the System in general, but his mother spent much of her time
looking for pictures of herself and her husband.

Hope it helps,

DS
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu