Re: Certification Discussion

> It is becoming ever clearer to me that the only people possible of being
> turned on by a CA are other archivists.  So is the flurry surrounding
> certification really to impress the "outside world" that we're worth
> something, or are we really just impressing other archivists?

No, we are not just impressing other archivists, we are truly establishing a
professional standard.  My certification has enabled me to do my job better,
and even shown others the level of the professionism of my craft.  I am even
considering working on a CRM, after my recertification next year.

> Frankly, a CA wouldn't impress my management because they think archivists
> and librarians are the same thing--unless you call a librarian an
archivist.

That is the problem of the institution, not the ACA.  Clearly, archival
institutions need to assign more credence to the obtainment of the CA by
staff members.  Personally, the ACA is probably hurt more by institutions
not willing to support the program, that the competition between librarians
and archivists.

Regards,
Bill