Re: Certification Discussion

In a message dated 10/20/01 7:21:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dbrussel@CAPACCESS.ORG writes:

On top of that I asked about certification on the Records Managment
list and also included my concerns about a discussion on how section five
(which is an essay) is graded and how subjective (and from the messages I
read some what nasty) the comments and grades were.

To reiterate the certified records managers examination process consists of six parts (at least that many since 1986 when I started taking the exams). The first five parts are multiple choice, the sixth part consists of case studies. The candidate must answer two case studies one is a required 60 pointer and they can choose the second question from the two presented. A case study question is much more involved than just an essay. The case study question involves a situation or problem that may face a records manager. They are asked to develop a response or solution for the question. As a former grader for Part 6 I can say that I tried to be as objective as possible.

There are many longtime records managers who refuse to take the CRM exams however recent entrants in the profession are seeking the certification. This year 39 individuals passed Part 6 and there are more than 850 CRMs worldwide.

More and more job postings are including in their requirements  "CRM required" or "CRM preferred"

To learn more about this certification click on the following link http://www.icrm.org

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va