Re: Archives Week

"Nye, Valerie" <vnye@RAIN.STATE.NM.US> wrote:
> I know a lot of archives around the country
> celebrated or are celebrating
> archives week in October.  I was wondering if you
> would be willing to share
> the subject your archives focused on this year - and
> most importantly, what
> events were most and least successful.  Also, what
> have you learned are the
> important elements in creating a successful Archives
> Week program.
>
> Please respond to the list.
>
> Thanks,
> Val

We focused on technology and archives, and then some.
We had two speakers who addressed the topic
specifically: one was from the Bush Library and she
talked about the library's efforts to capture email.
The other was from the Colorado Digitization Project.
The other two speakers were from a Canadian archives
that is undergoing a law suit and the Kraft archivist
who discussed corporate archives in general, and some
technology issues. All four talks were well-attended,

The other event was the Archives Clinic, on the last
day, which is an annual event. The public brings
letters, photos, textiles, whatever to the Austin
History Center, and students and AHC staff examine
them and tell them how to preserve them. The point is
to get the public interested in archives and to look
at what they have as important historical artifacts
worth preserving.

I'd say the most important elements of success were
broad and ample publicity. Flyers in all of the
libraries, notification via listservs, proclamation
from the mayor of Austin, spots in the paper, and we
even got some spots on local news stations. I think,
too, that working with other institutions in the
community helps, such as our Austin History Center,
which is a popular public research library. As I said,
all of the lectures and the Clinic were well-attended,
so perhaps variety in the events topics was a help.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there's
anything else I can answer.

Carol

<rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>