Re: Bizarre reference request, part 3 (and I hope final)

For the record, the request was for a specific marriage that occurred in
Morgan County, Illinois in 1878. Beginning in 1877, Illinois counties
recorded an extensive amount of information in marriage records, including
the race of the bride and groom.

Since the patron also asked for copies of some other marriage records, we
will send those copies to her and also state: "As you requested, we will not
send you a copy of the record of the marriage of X and Y because the groom
was of mixed race."

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144