Re: Certification Discussion

The concept behind certification is that is shows that one is proficient in
a "common body of knowledge."  This is proven by the ability to pass an exam
or multiple exams on that common body of knowledge.  To one outside the
profession (i.e. a prospective employer) the ability to prove proficiency in
the common body of knowledge of the particular profession is a plus in
judging qualifications.  It is not the only criteria on which the person
should qualify for a job - experience and education usually are also
required - but it gives one an edge.  My understanding of Certification
exams, and my experience with the six CRM exams, is that the questions
require more knowledge than "memorized lists of cataloguing requirements"
(as one responder commented).  They require knowledge of the basic concepts
of the profession as well as the ability to analyze and apply that
knowledge.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, MIT/LIT)
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities