Re: Certification Discussion

Chris Flynn wrote:
<snip>
Certification
We need to provide a benchmark for excellence that is recognized outside our profession. That we know so-and-so is an excellent Archivist and can do the job does not provide essential information to those beyond our profession. That as individuals we recognize no personal benefit or fail to see any value in getting certified is of little or no consequence.
<snip>

Folks who work in the information management professions (records management, libraries, archives and others) rarely are called upon as expert witnesses in legal cases. To be considered as an expert a witness generally must either hold a valid recognized certification or professional license otherwise the witness must undergo question by both the plaintiff's and the defense's attorneys to establish that they are an expert.

Now I am not saying that the certified archivist designation would forestall such a session of questioning but it might. As an example I have brother who is an engineering consultant. During his early years in the engineering field he would be called upon his employer to provide legal testimony. This generally required at the minimum two days of testimony to establish his credibility as an expert. His boss finally told him that he must obtain his professional engineer license. Obtaining the license reduced the preliminary questioning concerning his expert credibilty to one question. His replied always was " I <his name> am licensed by the State of Texas as a professional engineer, license number xxxx." or something to that effect.

Certification is always a personal decision. What I always find confusing is that the ones who put down the certification are always the ones who have not gone after the certification. My challenge to those folks is -- If you don't like something and think it could be better than join it. Yes, take the exam, obtain the certification and work from within to improve it. Complaining from the outside does nothing.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va