Re: recorders for oral histories

I used a Marantz PMD three-head machine to do fieldwork for several years;
it was heavily used (and abused) and always gave me excellent quality
recordings. I used the Marantz cardiod mics because I was recording much
more music than interviews. The Marantz portable line gives you several
choices, including the two-speed journalist models that are good for
interviewing (1 7/8 and 15/16 speeds, if memory serves), and also models
with three heads to let you monitor the live input.  The VU meter is easy to
monitor as well.

In this digital age, a number of people are also using the recording
mini-disc machines and getting excellent results.  They are small,
unobtrusive, and still can get a chunk of recording time on a disc.  I still
liked my Marantz for ease of use and recording quality, plus being able to
take a lot of hauling around in a backpack on a bike.  But these days I
might be tempted to go with the mini-disc machine for sound quality and
portability and ease of transferring to other digital storage mediums for
transcribing.  My two cents' worth--

Sally Childs-Helton
Special Collections and Rare Books Librarian
Butler University