Re: Rant

Actually I raised a similar problem here.  It turns out that the university
policy is that any mail addressed to an employee at the university is
considered "university" mail and may be opened by anyone within the
department.   That sounds fine when you consider faculty that are
away on sabbatical or sick leave and you would like someone to screen
things for you, but an awkward policy if materials you have no control
over are arriving at the office.   I talked to our postmaster about this
and learned that even if you are emeritus retired and say are given an
temporary office elsewhere at the University, the mail addressed person-
nally to you will still be sent to the original office for decision/opening/
disposition.   In short, you have no ownership rights for mail coming
to the organizing in which you're employed.

That is probably legally supported, but when I think of modern histories
that say "certainly the Provost was aware of the problem because a
letter to him of ZZ/ZZ/YYY from Dr. ZYA covered the issue" ... I begin
to wonder that we've never considered that corporate policies, timing,
and politics may have prevented such information from even reaching
the parties.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338