Re: Cuban Libraries Under the Embargo

While in a strong sense I agree with the sentiments on Cuban-American
relations expressed in the letter, especially in the area of cultural depriva-
tion, the writer seems to forget that it was the Cuban government that
began permitting the placement of missiles and nuclear warheads on
this same island designed to destroy the American people.   As an
alternative to bloodshed, invasion, and war, trade embargoes are meant
as a non-violent means of policy change.    Cuba is not a democracy
by any means though the writer seems to imply that their deprivation is
all our fault.  I'm a little perturbed that if Cuba is all that great, the only
thing lacking is our bad attitude toward them, how come here in Florida
we've received thousands of immigrants escaping the island by boat
or anything that floats?     Yes, I regret not having access to the great
archives of Cuba which cover much of the early history of the Western
Hemisphere under Spanish rule, but my regret is not tempered by guilt
from a trade embargo.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338