Re: service simians

Gee, inspired by this post, a whole new publishing opportunity
presents itself: "Library Research for Complete Monkeys!"

--- Russell Baker <russell.baker@MAIL.STATE.AR.US> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues:
> Perhaps we could train such service simians to assist our
> patrons with their
> research projects - their assistance and advice would be as
> good as or
> better than some "human" advice I've heard over the years. I
> once heard a
> lady tell her companion that it the U. S. Census indicated
> that a person's
> place of birth was the "U. S. " - often used on census records
> when a person
> did not know the state of their birth or the birth place of a
> parent - this
> "U. S." meant that the person was a "native American".
> Because, she said,
> she had read in her world book that native Americans were born
> in the "U.
> S.". Bring on the service monkeys.
>
> Russell P. Baker, CA
> Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
> One Capitol Mall
> Little Rock, AR 72201
> 501-682-6900
> russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net