color film storage

I have a dozen 12"-14" cans of 16mm, 8mm, and 35mm color film dating from ca 1945-1989.  I plan to purchase a freezer for storage as soon as my 2002 budget comes through.  In the meantime, I can choose between storing these cans of film flat in a refrigerator or on end in a small freezer.  About half of the film has vinegar syndrome.

Better to freeze vertically or chill horizontally?  Better to freeze the vinegar syndrome films and chill the others?

Any thoughts would be helpful.  Reply on- or off-list.

Thanks--Stephanie

Stephanie A. Brown, Ph.D.
Archivist
Hillwood Museum and Gardens