Re: Sectioning / cutting of very large oversize maps drawings etc

--- "Nye, Valerie" <vnye@RAIN.STATE.NM.US> wrote:
> I just finished re-processing a large collection of maps and
> oversized
> documents.  I would NOT suggest sectioning maps.  A portion of
> our maps are
> copies of map sections or were sectioned.  Unfortunately, with
> the amount of
> use our collection receives, sections were separated from each
> other over
> time.

Decades ago, when my library was fabulously wealthy (compared to
today, that is) and before "modern" and destructive practices
such as lamination were introduced, our processing department
used to back maps with linen, sometimes sectioning them for
folding purposes.  These linen-backed maps have held up
wonderfully, with no signs of acidic embrittlement, chipping, etc.

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net