Re: PR departments as sources for archival collections

As Roy points out, the PR department (officially "Community Relations" here)
has been just about the best source of information and materials for the
archives.  Photos, newsclippings, press releases, annual reports, and all
the other relatively simple (in terms of to collect or not, the value of the
materials) have been sent here, and much of my collection to this point
comes from them.

My question of earlier was caused by a meeting I had with them earlier,
where I was offered the last two years' worth of releases, followed by the
quizzical "you haven't been getting these?", as well as the heads up that a
previous office manager had dumped all kinds of things when she left.  I
have been trying to arrange a meeting with these people for two months,
specifically to try & regularize (that a word?) the transfer of materials -
I just needed them to put me on a distribution list, but as always, you need
to explain these things repeatedly.

Of course, as a central source, it makes life a lot easier - I don't have to
track down 20 different people at each facility, and I'm guaranteed
materials from every facility.

My biggest lesson is to be persistent - they were very enthusiastic about my
offer to take their leftovers when they're ready to clean out the files, but
ya just have to keep calling until they agree to meet with you.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu