Open government. Our cities' public libraries.

It's taken a bit of effort, but our Boston Public Library disclosed
several of the kinds of documents of its very own long range planning
and related information previously withheld by delay or denial.

With improved leadership and attrition of ensconced old guard
territorial types, updating of practices were allowed after way too
long a delay.

Our cities' public libraries need to be more open to civic enquiry,
encouraging of greater public participation in long range planning by
releasing their very own documentation to all interested readers
including public libraries personnel and public libraries unions
collective bargaining labor relations advocates.

Our cities' public libraries need to acquisition and accession all
City Hall departments municipal documents ever more comprehensively
for readers who would study local public affairs and public services
issues.

The guide to problematical library use FAQ
frequently asked questions give the idea how an effort
improving institutional disclosure began...

http://guidetoproblematicallibraryuse.weblogs.com/faq

   How did you get on this jag?

   After repeated dismissive insubstantial responses or no response
   from our urban public library in Boston, I asked for information
   about how the lib works back stage behind the scenes. If I can
   understand our institutions' capacity and limitations, I can use it
   more effectively with greater facility. Ensconced territorial types
   at BPL have been put off and suspicious of an approach that should
   be viewed as appropriate or even of merit.

   What do you want to learn?

   How do you actually use our City of Boston Public Library
   Departments effectively and robustly? What happens back stage
   behind the scenes of our cities' public libraries?  Tour behind the
   scenes. Who are treasured people of our cities' public libraries?
   Learn about their special interests. Learn from library aficionados,
   from people working at the lib and from their impressions,
   perceptions and wit.

   Comment  Suggestions and questions
   email:
   dsaklad@gnu.org

Boston Public Library Employee Handbook
[ Lion photo http://www.bpl.org/guides/phasing.htm ]
Thomas M. Menino, Mayor

[ Logo http://www.bpl.org/graphics/t-logo-home.gif
       http://www.bpl.org/graphics/b-logo-home.gif ]

An Equal Opportunity Employer
http://www.bpl.org
Human Resources 617-859-2356

[ ...more ]

Page 51
K. Freedom of Information Laws

The Boston Public Library complies with both the letter and spirit of
all applicable public information statutes. The Massachusetts Public
Records (MPR) law and the Federal Freedom of Information Act (FIA)
provide that any person has an absolute right of access to public
information. This right of access includes the right to inspect, copy
or have copies of records provided upon the payment of a reasonable
fee. Massachusetts General Laws broadly defines "public records" to
include all documentary materials or data, regardless of physical form
or characteristics, which are made or received by any officer or
employee of any Massachusetts governmental entity.

The MPR contains twelve (12) exemptions to its general rule of
disclosure. Perhaps the most frequently invoked and most pertinent to
Boston Public Library employees is the privacy exemption. The privacy
exemption contains two clauses, which are both applicable to Boston
Public Library employees. The first clause restricts dissemination of
employee medical and personnel information, which relates to an
identifiable individual and is of a "personal nature". Generally,
medical information will always be considered personal enough to
warrant exemption. Personnel information however is exempt only if it
is "evaluative" in nature. It should be noted that public employees
have a diminished expectation of privacy in matters relating to their
public employment.

The second clause involves requests for information, which implicate
privacy interests but do not involve personnel or medical records. In
order to qualify as a privacy exemption, the requested information
must involve "intimate details of a highly personal nature". For
instance, examples of intimate details of a highly personal nature
would include information regarding marital status, paternity,
substance abuse, government assistance, family disputes and
reputation. Boston Public Library employees should be confident that
the Boston Public Library will take every step under the MPR to ensure
that its employees privacy interests are protected.

Employees who receive requests for information pursuant to the MPR or
FIA should direct such requests to the Director of Operations
consistent with Boston Public Library policy.

Page 52
L. Access to Personnel Files

A record of all appointments and personnel actions for each employee
shall be maintained in their employee personnel file. Said personnel
file shall include the classification to which the employee was
appointed their starting salary, salary advancements, performance
evaluations, date of separation, and any other pertinent information
deemed necessary.

The Boston Public Library respects individual privacy. In compliance
with Massachusetts law, all information and records pertaining to
Boston Public Library employees contained in their personnel files and
elsewhere will be kept as confidential as possible. Information will
only be provided to appropriate outside individuals consistent with
the law and for a legitimate purpose.

Massachusetts law specifically provides that an employee may review
his/her personnel record during business hours if that employee makes
a request in writing to his/her employer. If an employee disagrees
with the content of his/her personnel record he/she may submit a
written statement explaining his/her position on the disputed issue.

It is the City of Boston's policy to cooperate with federal and state
agencies performing investigatory functions. However, personal
information will only be provided to governmental investigators when
they are entitled by law, to such information.

M. News Media Relations Policy
See Library Appendix #3

[ more... ]

BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
APPENDIX
  I. American Library Association Code of Ethics
 II. Mayor's Four Hour Leave for Cancer Screening
III. GAN 2000 - 141 Media Policy
 IV. GAN 2000 - 165 Respectful Workplace
  V. GAN 2000 - 167 Freedom of Information Act

[ more... ]

III.
SEPTEMBER 2001

GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE NOTICE, 2000 No. 141
BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Media Policy
To Members of the Staff:

The Boston Public Library has adopted the same media policy that is in
effect in countless organizations, public and private, large and
small, across the country. When employees are contacted by the media
regarding any library-related issue, employees are to immediately
direct the inquiry to our Communications Department. It is the
Communications Departments responsibility to respond to the media in a
timely and thorough manner.

Recently, some staff have tried to handle seemingly simple media
inquiries without the assistance of our Media Relations Manager or our
Communications Officer, only to find that their answers did not take
into account fiscal and public service impacts.

As librarians, we are trained to answer questions from the public. We
are also trained to go directly to the source that is going to give us
the most complete information. If a children's librarian is asked a
question about government documents or rare books, for example, that
librarian refers the customer to those specific departments. The same
practice should apply to the media. If you are asked a question by a
member of the press, please immediately refer the person to Cate Shier
or P. A. d Arbeloff. The only exception is for branch staff
communicating program listings to their Local media. That is and will
continue to be done in coordination with Cate Shier.

We appreciate you following this simple process: immediately refer all
media to the Communications Office.

Bernard A. Margolis
President
August 14, 2000

V.
SEPTEMBER 2001

GENERAL ADMINISTRATIVE NOTICE, 2000 No. 167
BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Freedom of Information Act Designee
To Members of the Staff:

>From time to time, the Library receives requests from individuals and
organizations under the Freedom of Information Act for material on
Library services, activities, programs and personnel. In order to
better respond to these requests and to guarantee that we meet all of
the legal requirements for a timely and complete response. I am
designating Ruth Kowal, in her role as Director of Operations, as the
person to handle all Freedom of Information Act requests for the
Boston Public Library. Should you receive a request under the Freedom
of Information Act, by letter, phone, e-mail, or in person, please
forward them to her immediately. Ms. Kowal can be reached at extension
2351.

Under statute, Freedom of Information Act requests cover virtually all
of the internal and external communications and documents of the
Library. Staff Internet (e-mail) communications, memoranda, meeting
notes, budgets, manuals, and similar documents are among those things
included in Freedom of Information Act access.

Should you have any questions about the Act, or inquiries which you
might receive, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Kowal. Thank you
in advance for directing all Freedom of Information Act requests to
her. All press requests should continue to be directed to
P. A. d'Arbeloff, Communications and Community Affairs Officer,
extension 2219.

Bernard A. Margolis.
President
October 3, 2000

[ more... ]

Boston Public Library Employee Handbook
[ Lion photo http://www.bpl.org/guides/phasing.htm ]
Thomas M. Menino, Mayor

[ Logo http://www.bpl.org/graphics/t-logo-home.gif
       http://www.bpl.org/graphics/b-logo-home.gif ]

An Equal Opportunity Employer
http://www.bpl.org
Human Resources 617-859-2356

Guide to problematical library use
http://zork.net/~dsaklad

For questions, comments or concerns, contact the owners:
   James -- jamesiegod@hotmail.com
   Matthew -- wrightm@ccmail.nevada.edu

http://www.libraryunderground.com