flag suppliers

In case anyone else is looking for historical flags for an exhibit,
etc., here are some results from my question about sources for 48 star
flags (desk top size):

* a suggestion to try e-bay

* I would think most flag manufacturers could produce these if they
don't have
in stock.  Here's two  http://www.qualityflags.com
http://www.usflags.com
Most cities also have local flag manufacturers and printers.

* (from a local person, refering to a town about 20 miles from me):
Have you tried the Flag Guys in New Windsor?
http://www.flagguys.com/index.html

* You might want to try to contact some National Park Service
(www.nps.gov) sites. Especially any Fort (see below). The reason is
that
they generally fly historically accurate flags for the time period
that
they represent. You should be able to get from them who supplies the
flags. From the websites you should be able to get a phone number.
You
will want to speak with either the Chief of Visitor Services, or
Chief
of Interpretation or the Site Historian.

http://www.nps.gov/fola/ - Fort Laramie, in SE Wyoming
http://www.nps.gov/fomc/  - Fort McHenry - Baltimore, MD
http://www.nps.gov/fosu/ - Fort Summter - Charleston Harbor, SC

*Try the Star Spangled Banner House in Baltimore, MD.
http://www.flaghouse.org/

* For an exhibit we are working on, I had to locate the 1795
15-star,
15-stripe flag, which I finally located at
A.A.A. American Flag Decorating Co., Inc.
40 West 37th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10018-7407
Tel: (212) 279-3524
Fax: (212) 695-8392

* I heard from two Archives list participants, one who had a
full-size 48 star flag she wanted to give away, and one who really
needed a full-size 48 star flag and put them in touch with each other,
and I believe they made the exchange.

I started (and ended) my search by contacting The Flag Guys
http://www.flagguys.com/index.html since they are quite near me, and I
figured I could drive there if I needed to. They responded to my
e-mail query that they did indeed have 48 star desk flags, and I have
put in an order with them for four to put into my exhibit. I get the
impression from their web site that they can supply just about any
American (including Confederate) flag that anyone wants.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive