Re: Maintaining book collections

I have a collections policy for the Archives, and I use it to decide
whether or not a book should be added to the College's "Rare Book"
collection, which sounds a lot like yours.  One of the librarians and I
are systematically reviewing every volume on the shelf.  For each
volume, I fill out a form noting (where feasible) history of use, number
of copies cataloged on OCLC, condition, preservation/housing required or
performed, approximate value (from several used book websites), relation
to the College, does it fall within the collection policy, is there a
more appropriate repository.  This takes quite a bit of time when only
one person does it, but when one person searches and the other writes
down the information, we get into an efficient rhythm.

Armed with this information, we bring the candidates for deaccessioning
to a committee.  If the committee agrees that it should be
deaccessioned, we have to decide the method of disposition:  offered to
another repository, given to the library for its semi-annual book sales,
or, if it seems to have value, offered to a book dealer for appraisal.

So far, the committee has looked at five books (we had 15 minutes at the
end of another meeting), and could only make a decision on three.  This
does not bode well for the future.

If we are going to keep the two they don't want to let go, the Archives'
collection policy will have to be revised.

Let me know if you need any further information.  I hope this helps!

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)