Re: Maintaining book collections

Could you create a "Closed Shelves" section?  We have one for oddly-shaped
items and books likely to be stolen.  The latter has included over the
years: judo, chess, internet, Playboy etc.  Ours is a locked area; items
have to be paged but most circulate.  Many of them are hand-inspected when
they return to see if anything is missing.  Patrons know this up front.

You have to be dedicated to assessing the contents every few years and
changing them by keeping up to date on what is "hot" at the moment.  The
person in charge should have an iron will in order to prevent Closed
Shelves from becoming a dumping ground or storage room.

|((|  Ellen Chapman
|))|  Archivist for Congressional Papers
|((|  University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
|))|  2550 McCarthy Mall
|((|  Honolulu HI 96822  USA
|))|