Maintaining book collections

Dear Lisa,

I believe a good starting point is to develop a clearly written collection development policy for your collection.  Selection is then based on the priorities and limitations determined for your collection. The policy provides a guideline for both staff and the public on what materials may be accepted into the collection.  It also provides guidance for planning and developing the collection.

Our Local History Collection Policy includes some of these key elements:

Types of programs supported by the collection
Users
Priorities of the Collection
  a.  Strengths
   b. Collecting level
   c. Desired levels of collection
   d. Geographic Areas Covered
   e. Subject Areas Covered
   f.  Chronological periods collected
   g. Languages
   h. Forms of materials collected
   i..  Exclusions

The policy should also include sections on procedures for reviewing the policy and on implementing it.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Sincerely,

Dennis Copeland
Archivist