From: Peter Kurilecz [mailto:PAKURILECZ@AOL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 6:17 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Questions that didn't used to be sinister

In a message dated 11/29/01 4:53:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, j.robins@ASAHQ.ORG writes:

As I recall, the American Library Association code of ethics expressly
prohibits censorship and promotes the privacy of library users.  In the
past, when the FBI wanted access to circulation records to find out who was
borrowing certain titles, the ALA stood firmly against it

Very interesting. Just a few days ago in one of my RAIN postings there was a story in a Florida paper that touches on this point. The librarian did provide user information. Will try to find the posting.

Shortly after 9/11 I posited to someone else that I suspected we would see a change in attitude concerning open access to public records. We have, I believe, started to see this especially when the records contain personal/private information.

I do believe that citizens should have access to public records, but at some point access may be/should denied for legitimate reasons

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va