Re: Television rights

One method used by some organizations is to charge by the amount of time
your image will be on view, i.e., so much per minute of viewing time.  My
feeling is that these program have a pretty large production budget, and
non-profit archives should not "give away" their images.  The producers'
options include purchasing the image from a for-profit supply house (which
will not sell it to them cheaply), or to do without if your archives is the
only source of the image.  As always, I suggest charging both a "production
fee" (what you charge to help cover the cost of making the image available
to them whether they use it or not) and a "use fee" if/when they ultimately
use it.  Also, I restrict future use of image in A-V formats, just as I
would in print formats, e.g., one-time, single language, U.S. rights only.
I realize that programs like those of History Channel will be shown
repeatedly, but what I want here is the right to negotiate further, or to
know up-front (and set my use fee accordingly) that the production will be
made available for video purchase, that it will be dubbed into foreign
languages for international distribution, etc.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology
Paul V. Galvin Library