Re: Sinister Plots and Nefarious Doings (long)

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Sokolow [mailto:DSokolow@NSHS.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 8:44 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Sinister Plots and Nefarious Doings (long)

>I heard Joe DiGenova (sp?), a former US Attorney & federal prosecutor, on
>Imus this morning, and he made some very valid points in reference to the
>"massive attacks" on civil liberties being yelled about.  The government is
>fully within its rights to hold military tribunals in a time of war (and if
>you don't think we're at war, wake up folks); the lack of information about
>the detainees is by their choice, as they are apparently allowed to give
out
>their names if they choose; and most of these people are being held on
>immigration violations, so we're just enforcing laws already on the books.
>There is no major loss of civil liberties to US citizens, and I can live
>with it if that changes, as long as it's done to protect our country and
>what it stands for.

Fine. But...we're told over and over that we're in a war, and wartime
measures are necessary. But when is the war over? When the Taliban fall?
When bin Laden is captured/dead? When Saddam is gone? When, as Bush
ingenuously declares, all evil is banished from the world?

Do we protect the freedoms this country stands for by compromising the
freedoms it stands for? It's starting to sound like destroying a village to
save it.

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144