Re: Sinister Plots and Nefarious Doings (long)

Thomas J. Wood wrote:
Fine. But...we're told over and over that we're in a war, and wartime
measures are necessary. But when is the war over? When the Taliban
fall?
When bin Laden is captured/dead? When Saddam is gone? When, as Bush
ingenuously declares, all evil is banished from the world?

I admit to some confusion here.  After checking the THOMAS web site, I
found a notice that Congress approved the President's use of force, but
it did not issue a Declaration of War.  I have been resisting the urge
to call this police action a war unless and until Congress does.  I am
hoping cooler heads will prevail.  And maybe military courts will not
come into play.

These comments are my own and do not reflect the policies of my
employer.

Barbara Austen
Project Archivist
Connecticut State Archives