raining data

Dear Archives list,
I have been given the task to find a database program
for our organization that`s bigger than Access and can
someday hold several hundred thousand descriptions of
individual items, and some full-text articles and
perhaps digitalized photos and videos.
(You`re all saying, "Item-level processing, for what?"
but that`s too long of a story...)
I would like something simpler and less space-hungry
than than SQL, and something a searcher with no
comprehensive knowledge of the software can manage.  I
came across one type of software called Raining Data,
which used to be Pick system D3.  Have any of you
heard of this or used it?  Do you have any good or bad
experiences to share?
Feel free to reply on or off the list.
Thanks!!
Anna M. Stadick