Re: RAIN-induced gripe-Archivists in Space......

Well, this is sort of silly but if anyone would appreciate my enthusiasm it
would be people on this list...

Unlike most portrayals of archivists in damp, musty dungeons and such this
week's Andromeda showed an archivist in space (the show is set in outer
space in the future).  At work at a party type situation soliciting some
sort of oral history.  I don't normally watch the show, but Spike from
Buffy was on this week (not as the archivist, though) so I watched it.  I
was totally blown away to see a character introduce herself as an
archivist.  And the people didn't ask , "what's that?" they KNEW.   They
even mentioned some sort of Freedom of Information type act.  Plus, there
was a librarian.  A member of a secret order of librarians dedicated to
preserving knowledge complete with secret tattoos, no less.   Yes, they
showed the "archives" or "library" that everyone was after was just this
little disk thing but I was still impressed with the whole knowledge is
power tone of the show.

Jennifer Rawlings
Archivist
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial