From: Patrick Prior [mailto:obmar@MEGAPIPE.NET]
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 6:08 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Sinister Plots and Nefarious Doings (long)

Following this string of emails, it comes to my immediate attention that
maybe everybody is not aware THAT OVER 4,000 PEOPLE DIED ON 11 SEPTEMBER.
Rest assured, more will die unless murderers such as bin Ladin and his
cohorts are all killed or imprisoned.  This is not an academic discussion.
It is reality.

Furthermore, the war should not end with the demise of al-Qaida.  Anybody
who follows international news knows that there are numerous terrorist
groups out there running around, and most of them take occasional pot shots
at Americans, including American citizens who just happen to be vacationing
in the wrong place at the wrong time.  If you are planning to go to the
southern Philippines any time soon, think real hard about it first.  It is
time that the United States stop playing around with this issue and get the
job done, and correctly.  We still owe Lebanese Hizballah for the deaths of
hundreds of U.S. Marines, and the loss of two Embassies.  Those of you who
can remember back to the early 1980s might recall this.  Then there is
Khobar Towers, the East Africa Bombings, the 1993 World Trade Center
bombings, The USS Cole, so on and so forth.  Terrorism is not a new issue;
it has been festering a long time.  If President Bush has the fortitude to
cut out this cancer from the world, then God Bless him.

Are our liberties important?  Damn straight they are.  Nothing more
important in the world.  Do we all need to know what the President is doing
every minute of the day?  Hell no, the very question is stupid on the face
of it.  And if the FBI comes in and starts asking questions about somebody
who requested the plans to your building, do your self a favor and answer
the questions.  It could save your life.

Does every foreign national ever born deserve to utilize our hard won
liberties?  Again: hell no.  When he/she becomes a citizen, then they are
entitled to full protection.  My heart does not bleed for the visa violator
who is being held in detention.  Although not terrorists, these people have
still violated our laws.

I know that the American attention span has become short, and many have
already started whining because the war is not yet over.  Good things take
time, especially if you want to do them right.  Have some patience people;
Rome was not built in a day, W.W.II was not won in a couple of months, and
terrorism will not be eradicated in a matter of weeks.  Reality sucks
sometimes.  But the United States will survive as a democratic state, I am
sure of it.

--
Patrick J. Prior
obmar@megapipe.net

Barbara Austen wrote:

> Thomas J. Wood wrote:
> Fine. But...we're told over and over that we're in a war, and wartime
> measures are necessary. But when is the war over? When the Taliban
> fall?
> When bin Laden is captured/dead? When Saddam is gone? When, as Bush
> ingenuously declares, all evil is banished from the world?
>
> I admit to some confusion here.  After checking the THOMAS web site, I
> found a notice that Congress approved the President's use of force, but
> it did not issue a Declaration of War.  I have been resisting the urge
> to call this police action a war unless and until Congress does.  I am
> hoping cooler heads will prevail.  And maybe military courts will not
> come into play.
>
> These comments are my own and do not reflect the policies of my
> employer.
>
> Barbara Austen
> Project Archivist
> Connecticut State Archives