Re: fruitcakes

Perhaps before fruitcake gets out of hand, I should
mention that I don't think there is another American
food tradition that engenders so much pro and con
activity or for which so many jokes and stories have
been written.

When I discuss Christmas traditions in talks to groups,
I always mention foodways such as why are there no
candy canes for Fourth of July or where's my Easter
pumpkin pie?    In truth, fruitcakes are a fall/Christmas
tradition because the fruits to make them became
available after harvest...(and I'm speaking of days long
before preservatives) and then someone decided that
pickling in alcohol would help preserve ...

But as Rebecca says, I do enjoy the tradition and idea
behind, if not the occasional taste.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338