Starting from scratch

Good Day All:

In preparation for outsourcing several manuscript collections for processing,
my colleagues and I request your assistance in developing some criteria for
sending collections to vendors.

Second, our Special Collections Department is in the process of acquiring MS
ACCESS to develop a collections database. Again, I would like your assistance
in identifying the types of information we should consider collecting. This
information is not meant to duplicate our catalog records, but rather to
provide information such as date of receipt, donor information, formats, ssize
etc. This may seem very elementary, beut we're trying to go back and create
some documentation that does not currently exist and to ensure that we begin
to systematically capture similar information in the future. I believe there
was some correspondence recently about customized databases, so if one or two
of you don't mind repeating yourselves I would appreciate your comments.

If you have a system or checklist you care to share regarding outsourcing
manuscript collections or setting up databases, please contact me off-list at
<lanina@gwu.edu>

And have a great weekend!

La Nina Manaigo Clayton              <lanina@gwu.edu>
Special Collections Department       202.994.7549 - Phone
The Gelman Library                   202.463.6205 - Fax
The George Washington University