From: O'Brien, Jeff (Clerks) [mailto:Jeff.OBrien@CITY.SASKATOON.SK.CA]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 1:15 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Lutefisk vs Haggis

Well, the great thing about food is: it just keeps getting weirder and
weirder. Ahem... I give you: "The Natto Test":

"Many a foreigner [in Japan] has been rated according to whether he or she
could eat natto. Natto is made from fermented soybeans and has a sticky,
slimy texture that produces lots of fine strings between clumps and makes
the whole mess hard to eat. Some people are grossed out by the texture,
others by the smell. I've been told that about 50% of Japanese--especially
those residing in the Kanto region--don't like it either. Again, this may be
a regional thing.

"I failed the natto test, quite unintentionally, at a conveyor belt sushi
shop. I thought the seaweed roll had negitoro (tuna) in it, so I grabbed the
plate off the conveyor belt and shoved one roll in my mouth. Surprise! I
discovered natto tastes just like it smells... like something that has been
decomposing underground for a while. I bet that amused the chef."

And, last but not least - after doing an extensive internet search using the
term "weird food" we come up with this occasionally off-colour entry from
"Danceyworld Industries"

http://www.bluecrow.com/members/dancey/pages/weird1.htm

Jeff