Sturgis: was Re: CALL FOR SESSION IDEAS: Midwest Archives Conference, Fall 2002

[I know it's not Friday but it is semester break!]

We had our own Innocents Abroad experience at Sturgis a few
years ago; my family and I planned a camping/sightseeing trip to
the Beautiful Black Hills.  So I make the reservations for a camp
spot in Custer State Park and there we go.  On the way up to
Casper, Wyoming, where I have a niece, we saw a lot of
motorcycles; oh well, didn't think anything of it.  So we stay over in
Casper and I innocently ask my niece about all the motorcycles.
"It's time for Sturgis," she replied.  I was thinking what, is that
some kind of fish that you have to ride a motorcycle to catch?
"Sturgis; the Harley rally?"  D'oh!  Then it dawned on me; but by
then it was too late to change plans.  And actually it was pretty
interesting being in the world of Harleys but not of the world, to
borrow a phrase.  Every day was started with the throb of engines,
every trip was accompanied by hundreds, if not thousands, of hogs
and their very pleasant riders.  One funny story was when we went
to Mt. Rushmore, there was a temporary parking lot with over a
thousand cycles parked (literally; I asked the ranger).  So we go
tour around, look at the monument and all, and the kids did the Jr.
Ranger thing, where you get a little booklet and look for chipmunks
and answer questions, and finally draw a little picture about what
you remember most about the park.  The ranger was crestfallen
when my eldest--about 10 at the time--drew a picture of a girl on a
motorcycle wearing a black leather bra.

But all in all, it was a nice trip; the Black Hills were indeed
beautiful, although actually, being from the badlands of northern
New Mexico, I liked the Badlands NP as well or better!  My only
regret is that I didn't get one of those black t-shirts with an eagle
emblazoned on it that said "Sturgis 1996!  Would have looked great
on the river!

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections