From: Pope, Barbara [mailto:bpope@MAIL.STLCOP.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 11:28 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: question about roman numerals

I sure hope someone out there can help me. I have recently discovered some
very old books in my archives.  I have had a little trouble decifering the
Roman numeral publication date on one of them. I found a website and some
reference books on Roman numerals the other day and have been using them,
but I can't seem to decifer it.

The publication date reads:

C cIc Icc XCIV

I know that the last part, XCIV, is 94, but the part I am having trouble
with are the second and third parts. I think the date is supposed to be
1694, but I don't see an M anywhere. The fourth and sixth letters, both C's,
are backwards on the title page, but I can't seem to find anything that
tells me for sure what these mean. Also, all of the C's except for the two
on either end are lowercase. Could anyone out there clear this up for me?
Thanks.  I would really appreciate any information you could give me on
this.  The book is in Latin.

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy