Merry Christmas!

        Dear fellow archivists

        I wanted to thank those of you who have assisted me and the mission
of collecting, preserving and providing access to historical Arkansas
photographs at the Arkansas History Commission (AHC) during 2001 by giving
of your expertise through the archives listserv.  May you have a very merry
Christmas and a happy new year!

        For your enjoyment ... attached is a low (G4594_52r) resolution
image of photo number G4594.52 - New Years greeting from aerial photo
section 32, Eberts Field, Lonoke, Arkansas, 1919.  (Come to the AHC to view
the high resolution image.)
        In World War I, the usefulness of aerial photography to the U.S.
military to monitor troop locations, as well as update military maps and
strategic positions, prompted the army to train pilots to photograph areas
of vital interest to the war effort. One military pilot school and temporary
flying field was established in Arkansas. Eberts Field, an area of 640 acres
in Lonoke, Arkansas, 20 miles east of Little Rock, Arkansas, operated during
1918-1920. Eberts Field was named for native Arkansan and West Point
graduate Melchior McEwen Eberts, a Captain of the aviation section of the U.
S. A. signal corps. Eberts died in May 1917, at the age 28 while making
airplane exhibition flight at Columbus, New Mexico. Construction of Eberts
Field began December 11, 1917, and ended in January 1919 at a total cost of
$1,829,560. The Primary Flying Course was an 8-week course with a student
capacity of 300. Eberts Field also housed a Temporary Storage Depot. The
Armistice was signed (November 11, 1918) before the first class graduated.

        This is one of nearly 13,000 images digitized in our Stage One
Digitization grant project here at the Arkansas History Commission.  You can
access this and other SOD images at www.ark-ives.com/photo  Choose "Search"
to access other images from the comfort of your own desk.  Or choose
"Gallery" to see one sample image and a blurb about each group of images
digitized.  Choose "SOD project" if you are interested in learning to a
digital project yourself.

        Online ordering, payment and delivery of high resolution images
coming soon!

        Enjoy!

        Lynn Ewbank, CA
        Arkansas History Commission