Re: Another Archive recruiters/Job hunting

Hello, list -- I think that this is a key question.  I *almost* posted
something about this when the question first came out, because it seems so
basic to me.  I went to school in Michigan, where I'd lived for 18
years.  When it came time for me to seek my first archives job, I was
offered one position in Michigan that wasn't really related to archives.  I
didn't take it, but found no other archives positions in the state.  I'd
been sending out resumes for a while, and I knew I would have to move from
my long time home in order to practice in my profession.  I wound up with a
great job in South Dakota.  Fortunately, it was fairly easy for me to
relocate -- there were not children and spouses in the mix, just a deep
attachment to Ann Arbor.....  But I can certainly see that being wedded to
location would have prevented me from practicing in my field.  I'd have
found a position, I'm sure, in some other field of librarianship.  But not
in the profession that was -- and remains -- my first choice....

Amy Cooper
Special Collections Librarian
University of Iowa