Re: Another Archive recruiters/Job hunting

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:54:54 -0500, Alan Harris Stein, online
<asteinca@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

>More to the point of this discussion and these questions: who is willing to
>move to work as an archivist? For example, would Katy work in the Pacific
>Northwest  to do archives work? How many of you are that committed to the
>profession to move/relocate? I would like to hear your thoughts on that,
>since I'm also working on an article.
>
>Al Stein, C.A./M.L.S.
>Northwest Oral History Assoc.

Well I've done the move twice (relocate). It is a difficult decision, but I
think one that many face in both the archival and records management
professions. Better yet how many of us are willing to commute long distances
in order to obtain a position? I think I accepted early on that in order to
progress within the profession I would have to change employers every so
often in order to advance my career, obtain new skills and to make more
money.

One of the reasons that I and my family moved to the Mid-Atlantic region
(VA,DC,MD,De) was that the fact that there were many more job opportunities
here than there were in the Texas Gulf Coast. Also more opportunities for
movement upwards rather than lateral professional moves.

The questions one must ask themselves when job searching (and considering
relocation) are;
1. Will it advance my career? ie what professional opportunities will be
available (after 20 years in the RIM profession I am now on employer no. 6
and each move has been upward)
2. Is the compensation (salary/benefits/etc) what I am seeking?
3. Am I willing to move to a new area in which a I know no one?
4. Is the institution providing relocation assistance? (BIG factor
f'instance moving from Houston to Richmond cost close to $15K for a family
of four and a whole lot of baggage)
5. Do I really want to live there? (this is easy if you are single, but if
you have family you have to consider schools, your spouses job, etc)

If you would like more information about the trials and tribulations of
relocating please contact me offline, unless the list would like to hear the
m collectively

Merry Christmas to one and all

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com