Ask Boston Public Library President Bernie Margolis

How do you negotiate with our cities' public libraries reference desks
 that have censored internal legitimately public city public library
 background information already on hand at reference desks?... How do
 you improve customer services training and supervision?...

How do you improve the acquisition and the accession of municipal
 public city hall departments documents at our cities' public
 libraries?... Do all cities' need a Mayoral Directive and a City
 Council Order for more routine transmittal of city departments public
 documents to our cities' public libraries?...

Our cities' public libraries collections and reference desks need to
 be ever improving resources for all interested in how municipal
 government works, including our public libraries personnel and
 including our public libraries unions collective bargaining labor
 relations advocates. In order to read and learn more people
 concerned, interested or affected by municipal government need ever
 more robust municipal government collections and ever more user
 friendly customer services oriented reference desks. Doing this
 would, in addition, serve the recruitment of more interested,
 talented and skilled people to municipal public services. Internal
 censorship deters talented and skilled people who might pursue
 municipal public service careers or volunteering. We need information
 about our municipal government.

 When municipal public hearings are held, informational materials need
 to be at the ready at our cities' public libraries for people who
 would brief themselves and attend hearings. Our Boston Public Library
 is an model of a bad example in this regard because supervision,
 management and executive officers have not cooperated whenever
 citizen interest is expressed, especially BPL Government Documents
 Department Reference Desk.