Re: shelving

 I think the "half the floor space figure" is roughly correct but each
installation is different. We have both the electronic kind and the manual
kind and I slightly prefer the electronic, but that may be because I am
lazy. Someone else mentioned a preference for manual - perhaps they have
had mechanical problems with the electronic. Ours has worked well with few
problems over the years and on the rare occasions when it has been down it
has been fixed in a few hours. Our mechanical ( hand crank ) system is
really too new to have a real track record ( did I just make a pun? )
but we have not needed service on it yet.

 The only problem we have had with compact shelving is that you can only
access one aisle at time, but it is rare that we need to do this. It is
frustrating when a staff person has boxes spread out on the aisle floor
and another person needs to get into another aisle, but that does not
happen often. You would not want compact shelving for high traffic areas,
though I have seen it used in libraries with fairly high traffic. Of
course they are not moving boxes in and out, usually just single books.

Steve Fisher
University of Denver