Re: Another Archive recruiters/Job hunting

Paul:
I appreciate your comments, and feel there is some validity in them.

However, I will give you my view of some of the benefits of working in
an academic environment, which to me would justify a substantial
increase in my salary should I move to the world of government or
corporate archives.  Probably more substantial than they are willing to
give!

For instance, for the next 11 days, I will be on a vacation, without
having to use any of my own vacation days.  Thats valuable!

Also, my present employer really does encourage me to research and
publish in the field.  How do I know?  Because he doesn't mind while I
stand in front of the photocopier for an hour every now and then,
copying things that have nothing to do with my job duties, but have to
do with my own research and writing!  Also, all that research is right
here, in my reach easily, and can be photocopied for free.  If I worked
for a government or corporation, I would not have the amount of sources
around me I do here.

Also, I have found it personally less stressful to work in an
environment where I don't have to continually go around justifying my
job to everyone else I work with, since in the academic world, the
preservation of primary sources of history is widely accepted, and seen
as part of academia's mission.

There is also the intellectual stimulation of working around others who
value, love, and crave information and knowledge like I do, which can
sometimes include knowledge for knowledge's own sake, and not just to
produce some product or service.  I personally think work is more fun
and less drudgery when I am constantly learning from others-I did not
get that stimulation in past jobs with government or corporate entities.

I'm sure I could think of more reasons why, if someone were to offer me
a job at a government or coporate archives, I would require around a 25%
increase in my present pay. ;-)

Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law
Houston, TX