Re: SAA in 1937

>I find it interesting that the "he" pronoun
> is used here, encouraging the belief that only men can be
> archivists...yet Brooks' letter notes that Margaret C. Norton
> (of Illinois) is the Society's Vice-President!

Until fairly recently it was popular usage to use "HE" for all references to
a professional person in literature or personal correspondence.  The
now-current "HE or SHE" is an outgrowth of the civil rights movements of the
1960s.  It probably never occurred to the author of the letter to use
anything else.