Re: SAA in 1937

As a former English major, I must chime in.  In the 1930s, "he" was the
accepted pronoun to be used when speaking of both genders.  It wasn't until
fairly recently (if you consider the '70s recent!) that we decided it would
be more poitically correct to use the ungrammatical "they", or the awkward
"he or she".  I doubt that it would have occurred to vice President Norton
that she should feel slighted.

Jody Georgeson
Telecommunications History Group
P.O. Box 8719