Re: SAA in 1937

I fail to see how altering our speech and writing patterns to more
explicitly include half of the human race can be seen as merely a
symptom of self aggrandizing ignorant individuals who are easily
insulted. Couldn't efforts to explicitly include the other half of
humanity be driven by motivations designed to enhance our
collective humanity by discarding outdated and biased language usage. I do
believe language is historically derived and validated within particular
social contexts that can implicate class and, in this case, gender power
relationships. And langauge is not static -- it does change. Using solely
the masculine as an all encompassing term for both sexes seems like a
concept whose time has passed - especially in light of the social equity
advances that have occurred over the past 40 years.

Decent people can of course disagree on such issues. However, the
tenor of the comments I am responding to do little to provide value to
their cause. While they may give some the opportunity to snicker at the
cheap put down -- they really do little to advance an adult dialogue that
one would hope to see on a professioanl listserv -- best regards - David
A. Wallace