Re: SAA in 1937

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 13:23:03 -0500, David A. Wallace <davwal@UMICH.EDU>
wrote:

>Decent people can of course disagree on such issues. However, the
>tenor of the comments I am responding to do little to provide value to
>their cause. While they may give some the opportunity to snicker at the
>cheap put down -- they really do little to advance an adult dialogue that
>one would hope to see on a professioanl listserv -- best regards - David
>A. Wallace

What I find  sad is that we are discussing whether or not the use of the
word "he" in a 1937 document is correct or not. I agree with Nick Gilliam
the use of the term 'he' is all inconclusive.

The nice thing about the English language is that in many cases words are
gender neutral. Most other languages in the world assign a gender either
male, female or neutral, but not English.

I am always amused when an organization announces that "Chairperson Jane
Jones has...." while another organization will announce that "Chairman Bob
Jones has..."

Let us hope that in the end Roy Webb will deign to provide us with an
insider's view of the Winter Olympics from the Beehive State.

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com