From: Jim Lindner - Media Matters <jim@MEDIA-MATTERS.NET>
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: film to dvd or other useful media
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:19:01 -0500

DVD is a "data reduced" format and as such should not be considered a
"preservation format" for either film or video materials (unless they
are "born digital" at a very reduced data rate to start off with - a
format like DV for instance starts off with a very reduced amount of
data). To give a sense of perspective the peak data rate of DVD's are
about 8 - 10 MB/second. Full bandwidth video is around 250 MB/second. A
huge difference. So while DVD is a very viable format for all sorts of
things - preservation for video that starts off as analog or full
bandwidth video is not necessarily one of them. As an aside - there have
been NO - repeat NO - independent laboratory that has verified the
claims of lifetimes of DVD media - despite manufacturers claims - and
some very real questions about longevity. Recent presentations at
several conferences and at several standard setting organizational
meetings raise very serious questions about DVD media lifetime
forecasts. DVD-R's in particular have not been designed as an archival
media type.

The current consensus is that for preservation of film - the appropriate
technology is to make another film copy. Video (even uncompressed full
bandwidth) is NOT considered an appropriate preservation format for film
- - and never has been. There are several reasons for this including the
vast differences in resolution, differences in color spaces, differences
in frame rates, and very real questions about video longevity. The type
of film to tape transfer you do is also very important. There are
transfers.... and then there are transfers - and there is a great deal
of difference in the quality of the result depending on both the type of
equipment and the person who does the color correction (colorist).

What Gerrianne Schaad has made (the Betacam copy) is NOT a preservation
master of the film - but what is referred to as a "duplication master"
or a master on video from which it is easy and cost effective to make
more video copies. This is a wise thing to do if you will require more
access copies over time - you don't want to incur the expense of
retransfer when you need more copies - but this duplication master is
most definitely not a preservation master.

James Lindner
Managing Member

Media Matters, LLC
Email:jim@media-matters.net
Address: 15 Washington Place, Suite 2M
New York, N.Y. 10003
Tel + Fax (212)982-4413

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com