Re: SAA Employment Bulletin (Dec.2001)/Jobs Requiring CA

First:  This is not really an accurate indicator of the value of being
certified.  Personally, I would like to see more jobs specifying the need for
certification.  However, if you were the person doing the hiring and you had two
equal candidates except that one was certified, who would you hire?  My point is
that your study does not indicate the value of certification on the resume, in
the interview, etc...

Second:  To me this point is the crux of the whole issue.  Whether it is
certifying graduate programs or having a professionalization exam, those in the
archival profession need some way to identify themselves as "professional"
archivists.  Otherwise, archivists will always suffer somewhat from a lack of
professional identity and credibility.  Just look at numerous other professions
as proof of this.

If you are going to be this critical of the ACA provide an alternative.