Re: the attack of the killer frozen dumplings

As it would happen, I've just spent the last half hour searching the public
library's collection for a cornbread recipe that resembled my
great-grandmother's---I left my cookbook back in VA and don't trust my
memory on that one.  Finally found something that sounds about like it, but
in the meantime have wandered through scores of spoonbreads, skilletbreads,
ashcakes, Sally Lunn, etc., and yes, dumplings.  Considering the setting of
the East Tennessee area and having lived on Signal Mountain in all its snowy
glory while watching the valley city below (Chattanooga) bereft of the
drifts, it's not hard for me to imagine mountaineers on a mountaintop
discovering the stuff to be dumped into their stew had frozen.  Is this
collection in the Tennessee State Archives?  And does the Watts in the story
bear any relation to the Watts family associated with Watts Bar between
Knoxville and Chattanooga?  (I know; dumb question!  Please don't hit me
with that dumpling!)

Holly Hodges
Too far south for dumplings to freeze